Experience American college life at no cost to you! The Year of Exchange in America for Russians (YEAR) program provides a unique opportunity for Russian undergraduate students to study in the United States for one year, experience American college life, learn about American culture, and improve professional and English language skills. The program covers international round trip, tuition, health insurance, and provides a monthly stipend and book allowance.
The YEAR program is a non-degree program that brings outstanding Russian undergraduate students to study for one academic year at American universities and community colleges. This is a fully funded fellowship that helps participants learn about the American educational system; explore American culture and values; and enhance academic knowledge, leadership, and English language skills. In addition to academic courses, participants will engage with local communities through various volunteering activities and share Russian culture and history with American people.
The YEAR program is open to students in any field of study and does not discriminate based on race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, or disability. The program supports the participation of people with disabilities and will work with host institutions and families to provide an accessible learning and living environment.
To be eligible to participate in the program 2022-2023, students must be:
- a citizen of the Russian Federation
- born between August 5, 2001, and July 25, 2004. The age-range for persons with disabilities is August 5, 2000 and July 25, 2004
- must be undergraduate students currently enrolled in the first two years of a 4-year program or first three years of a 5-year program in Russia
- must have at least one academic year to complete at their home university in Russia after completion of the YEAR program
- eligible to receive an internationally recognized passport of the Russian Federation
- able to clearly communicate in English
- eligible to receive a U.S. J-1 student exchange visa
- committed to returning to Russia after completion of the program
- able to begin studies in the United States in August 2022
The following individuals are not eligible to apply for the program:
- U.S. citizens and permanent residents of the U.S.
- undergraduate students expected to complete their studies in Russia by June 2023
- the YEAR program cannot be the final year of students’ undergraduate study
- high school students not currently enrolled in a Russian university
- students living for more than three months in the U.S. in the past five years
- employees of the U.S. Embassy in Russia and their immediate family members
- arrested for or convicted of a crime
Program competition is closed now. The next program will be announced later.
You can find additional info and submit your application on Year Program website.